Welcome to the Union Diamond Blog

Tuesday, August 16, 2011

"If I had to pick just one, I’d pick three" by Megan Reynolds, AJP (GIA)

So, I work for this awesome company with a beautiful showroom which is great for you, but for me it poses a bit of a problem. I want EVERYTHING, so today I decided to choose one from our collection that would be my favorite and write about it. I think I found about fifty, which I have painstakingly whittled to three. I chose today to focus on colored stones because they are so frequently overlooked in the search for their “sparklier” diamond counterparts. So I offer you this, my small scale homage to the colored stone jewelry of the world. Enjoy!
First up is a trio of 14k white gold bands with colored stones and diamonds, and they count as one thing… yep… it’s true. Each band has a different colored stone, and they are pink sapphire, yellow sapphire, and green (tsavorite) garnet, respectively. These bands are undeniably the cutest things we have in our showroom, and they look great on my finger if I do say so myself. The bezel style setting makes the ring so comfortable to wear as there are no prongs to snag on clothing, etc. And they’re so versatile; you can wear them all at once, or just two, or just one. Or if you’re feeling bold, wear one as a wedding band. The possibilities are endless. However, after all of that practicality, it’s the colors that get me; they’re like candy, and make me smile every morning as I put them in their case, always at the front of course. I personally own about five rings with green stones, but I would love to make it six with this one. It counts as one ring, remember? Hey, even numbers are better anyway, right?

Next up is a checkerboard cushion cut amethyst set in a 14K rose gold halo style mounting. This ring is probably the most popular one among all of the girls who work here, myself included. The rose gold is what sets this ring apart for me; the combination of the copper-pink and purple is stunning and unique. The band also contributes to the look as it is so delicate that the stone is really allowed to be center stage, with the halo adding just the right touch of sparkle. The checkerboard cut of the stone is interesting as well, as it lends originality along with an extra large dose of brilliance. This ring overall has a quiet elegance that is lacking in a lot of colored stone jewelry I’ve seen. It’s “elegant dinner party”, while the ones I mentioned above are more “girls’ day out”.  And that is why I needed it too, for all of my elegant dinner parties… or Chinese takeout, either one.
And last in my pick(s), allow me to bring your attention to may favorite pair of amethyst earrings (I must be in a purple mood today.) Two gorgeous amethyst pear shapes each hang from a delicate swirl of diamonds. If the trio of bands were the “fun”, and the rose gold ring, the “demure”, then these, are the “showstoppers.” The rich purple paired with the beautifully brilliant white diamonds are truly magnificent. They are tastefully elegant, all the while still being whimsical and fun. When I win my Pulitzer Prize, I will be wearing these earrings. Hey, it could happen! Although the reality is, I love these earrings so much that I would dress in evening wear to pick up groceries if it meant I could wear them. Frozen peas will never have never been so glamorous.

So there you have it, my favorite thing, er, things from our showroom, today. All bets are off tomorrow. And yes, I need each of them, really I do… seriously.  

No comments:

Post a Comment