Welcome to the Union Diamond Blog

Thursday, December 1, 2011

The World's Most Expensive Christmas Tree

It’s officially December and that means that my Christmas tree will be going up this weekend. Now when I say Christmas tree, I’m envisioning a fluffy fir tree trimmed with white lights and teal, green, and silver colored ornaments. Hey, so it’s not the traditional red and green, but I like to be a little different. Now, let’s pause for a moment on the words, a little, different. Because I found a tree that’s been making headlines this week due to it being decidedly more than, ‘a little’ different. Now by different I don’t mean that they’ve hung it upside down, or covered it in meat a la Lady Gaga… that would just be gross. This tree is different in the fact that it is made entirely, from its base to the star at its summit, out of pure gold.
Yes, you read that correctly, this tree is made out of more than 26 POUNDS of pure gold. Created to top the record set by a “Gold Christmas” tree created in 2006 worth a paltry $850,000, the King Midas worthy tree was bound to be spectacular. And it is quite the spectacle, located at the Ginza Tanaka jewelry store; it blows the ‘other golden tree’ out of the water at a staggering $2 million. It took 15 craftsmen four months to fashion the opulent tree which reaches 8 feet in height and is liberally decorated with 60 heart shapes and 100 ribbons which are all made out of pure gold. Impressive isn't it?
Photo : Ginza Tanaka / Rex USA
Now for all of you golden Christmas tree collectors, I’m sorry to disappoint you, but the tree is not for sale. I have no idea what they’re going to do with it for the other 9-10 months out of the year, but I do have a few suggestions. To make it more, multi-seasonal, they could add additional golden ornaments. For example, with the hearts already on the tree, they’re all set for Valentine ’s Day, now if they could just whip up some golden shamrocks and bunnies then they’d have it covered ‘til summer! Just an idea Mr. Tanaka!
And since I know that you are all very sad about not being able to purchase this Christmas tree, I have taken it upon myself to create a version that you can make at home! With only a pair of scissors, a yellow highlighter, a yellow envelope and some tape, you too can create this desktop masterpiece. Don’t laugh; it’s actually quite festive sitting on top of my computer. Think you’re up to the task of holiday tree making? We’d love to see what you come up with!

No comments:

Post a Comment