Welcome to the Union Diamond Blog

Tuesday, April 3, 2012

A puppy and a proposal!

We love proposal stories here at Union Diamond, especially if they’re as cute as the one we received this morning from a happy customer named Andy. He had met his fiance-to-be seven years ago in a college neuroanatomy lab and even though life took them in separate directions, he never forgot the “radiant beauty of a stunning young lady named Katie”. Over the years, they managed to never quite lose sight of one another, and finally they decided to really make a go of it. Andy moved halfway across the country, leaving a paid job to begin a new life, with Katie. Just over a year later, and he was ready to take the next big step, and ask Katie to be his wife.They're so cute together aren't they?


Now, here’s where it gets cute. Katie was always a dog person, and she was especially enamoured of her sister’s goldendoodle. She and Andy both “fell in love with his teddy bear face the first time [they] saw him”, and knew that a goldendoodle was for them. Unfortunately, Katie’s sister moved away, taking her goldendoodle friend with her. This would prove to be just the spark Andy needed to switch his plan into high gear. He contacted a breeder, and unbeknownst to Katie, picked out a sweet goldendoodle puppy that would be his more than willing accomplice in a proposal to remember.  


So the scene was set, the ring was placed in Ernie’s, the goldendoodle, crate in and amongst the puppy supplies and accessories. It’s a gorgeous ring isn’t it? Anyways, Andy posted the whole proposal story on his blog, so I’m going to let him take it from here so you guys can get his first hand account of how it all went down!

My morning started with a cup of coffee (if we're honest, it was two), a shower, and a change of clothes. I found my way to the storage unit where I'd been hiding the crate, gates, and several other items and stowed them in my car. Then we hit our first hiccup. My trip to Mike's Camera informed me that the rental department was in Boulder. Unfortunately, this meant I wouldn't have time to get everything setup at home for Ernie's arrival and that I wouldn't be able to film Katie's homecoming. Soon after, I realized I could simply record some of the events on my phone and upload them with apps to YouTube! This was a relief as I knew the reaction would be priceless! I ran home and setup the gate, FaceTimed with Katie's sister, Kelly, my accomplice in all of this, and arranged some other items. At around 11:25, I made haste for the home of my breeder, which is typically a 20 to 25-minute drive. By some odd miscalculation my travel landed me in her neighborhood 20 minutes early and I was forced to drive around and look at the homes to prevent myself from looking to eager for my appointment. I pulled into the driveway and headed to ring the big doorbell…

When I stepped in the door, I was greeted by none other than Mr. Blue (Ernie) himself! Mr. Blue was the last of the 3 brothers to leave home with a new family and had, apparently, been somewhat lonesome for a short while prior to my arrival. I couldn't wait to hold him. As I stood there in the entryway, I saw him exploring the area and chewing on some carpet padding. That was precisely the moment that a different kind of anxiety set in. As I pondered all of the disasters that could follow, Debbie was delivering invaluable advice, offering well wishes for the future, and trying to get me out of her house! I obliged her unspoken wishes by tossing Ernie into the car next to me and beginning the drive home.


The drive home was nerve-wracking, with Ernie crying the WHOLE way and lots of traffic on I-70. At home, Ernie meticulously inspected every nook and cranny, carefully determining which of the tight, dark places would best suit his furry, little body! He looked in the kitchen, the office, the living room, and the bathroom. He combed the bedroom, dining area, closets, and hidden spaces. After all the effort, he settled for an end table to find a respite from the horrors of the day!


After about 3 hours, which seemed like an eternity, Mom called and said she was on her way home! I quickly grabbed my handcrafted bow for Ernie and attempted to put it on him. Despite all his wriggling, I got it attached and we were ready for Mom to come in the door. When Ernie and I heard Katie coming up the stairs, we got in our position, I got my video recorder ready on my phone and we greeted her at the door. What happened next can be seen here: Meeting Mom Video

Ernie loved Katie immediately. In fact, he has loved everyone we've met so far. After a few minutes of joyful playing between Ernie and Katie, I asked her to sit down with me and look at all the things I'd gotten for him in preparation for his arrival. We looked through everything and when Katie had pulled the last thing out of the crate, I asked whether there was anything else in there. She said she didn't see anything else. I panicked for just a moment wondering what could have possibly happened to the other part of Katie's surprise before reaching in and trying hard not to drop it with all my shaking. Katie saw the box, immediately started crying, and agreed to my proposal, even though I hadn't yet given the speech that had kept me up so many nights prior! Some tears were shed and plenty of hugs and kisses were exchanged. When it was all over, Ernie calmly strolled over and rested his soft, furry, 12-pound body on both our laps.

Katie, Andy, and Ernie are on a new journey together. It is an adventure that will undoubtedly be fraught with challenges and a multitude of great joys.


I think I speak for everyone when I say, awwwwwwwwwwwwwww! That is one of the cutest little bundles of puppy fluff I’ve ever seen! Great job on the proposal Andy, and many Congratulations to you and Katie! The ring looks superb on her finger and all of us here at Union Diamond wish you a long and happy life together! 

(All of the adorable pictures in this post are from Katie, Andy, and Ernie's blog

No comments:

Post a Comment