Welcome to the Union Diamond Blog

Thursday, January 26, 2012

The World's Most Expensive T-Shirt

Let’s say I’ve won the lottery. WOHOOO! Now comes the fun part. What would I spend my millions on. Herein lies the problem. After you’ve bought the standard mansion, Ferrari, huge diamonds etc. there’s still going to be tons of money left over. (I’ve obviously won a very big lottery.)So what do I do with those extra millions? Well as we’ve learned, I love diamonds, but I assume that I will have bought enough to bedeck my wrists, neck, ears, and every one of my ten fingers, so what else is there? Well I’ll tell you. It’s something magical that creates the perfect solution to having more diamonds than you have fingers. Put them on your clothes! And not just any article of clothing, a t-shirt. 

Yes, you heard me correctly, for the right price, you too can own a diamond studded t-shirt. So you can be comfy and sparkly, what could be better?! Oh, and that right price? A lottery friendly $400,000. Ok, here’s where even I can’t keep up with this fantasy anymore. $400,000 for a t-shirt, you have got to be kidding me. Unfortunately this t-shirt does exist and it really does cost the equivalent of a house, or a car, or a huge diamond, or all three if you budget it correctly. So why does it cost so much?

:
Photo : TheMostExpensiveTshirtinthWorld.com

Turns out, it’s that pesky environment again. The company claims that their t-shirts are made using only renewable resources like wind and solar power, and has only 10% of the carbon footprint of a standard T. It’s even made with organic cotton which is great for sensitive skin. However this is still sounding like a t-shirt that I could buy for under $30 bucks from the thousands of crunchy ‘granola’ types on the internet. But then it gets interesting, at least for me, they bring up the diamonds. It seems that every shirt is “encrusted with 8 white diamonds each over 1ct and 8 ‘enhanced’ rare black diamonds also over 1ct each. Alright, I’m not sure about all of you, but when I read encrusted I picture something covered in wall to wall bling. 16 stones wouldn’t even cover a bracelet, let alone a whole t-shirt. Now if it was a shirt encrusted with 16,000 stones, that would be something I could get on board with. Although the wearability of a shirt like that would be highly questionable. Heck, even the actual shirt would pose some problems. First, how do you wash the thing? You’d have to do it by hand and even then the diamonds would get all covered in guck. Here at the office we throw dirty stones in the ultrasonic followed by a brief visit to the steam cleaner. Now, I haven’t checked, but I’m fairly positive that this t-shirt would not fit in the ultrasonic, and steaming it would be problematic at best. 

So, all of that being said. I actually like the design of the shirt. I think it would look cool with bezel set rhinestones. But it’s really hard to get on board with a shirt with such an outrageous markup. I mean it’s not exactly the bones of the Redeemer we’re talking about here. It’s ridiculous, and I’m ashamed to admit that if I had $400,000 burning a hole in my pocket I might order one. I’m just that curious. This is why it’s probably a good thing that I don’t have that kind of cash, I would end up with the strangest purchases. 

So what would you buy? Would you splurge on the T, or would you be more practical and purchase a supercar, or a solid gold Christmas tree?

No comments:

Post a Comment