Welcome to the Union Diamond Blog

Monday, February 27, 2012

Diamond Facials... Just What Will They Come Up With Next?


Awards season has come to a close, but I’m just not ready to say goodbye. So I won’t. The Oscars were a feast for a bling lover like myself. Diamonds were everywhere from glittering cuffs to dazzling drop earrings. It was a smorgasbord of sparkle, and I enjoyed every minute of it. But the jewelry weren’t the only parts that diamonds played Sunday night. Stars like Mila Kunis were lining up to have diamonds added to their awards season beauty regimes. It’s good to be a celebrity. 

Photo Credit : Associated Press

Apparently, for a mere $7,000, you too can look as dewy and flawless as your favorite celeb. Called the HD Diamond and Ruby Peel, the procedure uses precious stones such as diamonds and rubies claiming that they work as antioxidants for the skin, creating a ‘lustrous sheen’. Aesthetician to the starts Scott-Vincent Borba explains the treatment that he performed on Mila Kunis saying that “Mila is one of my muses. She’ll test my stuff before everyone else and give me feedback. 

The treatment begins by rubbing the precious stones over the skin to, I’m assuming, release the antioxidants. And how exactly does this work? Most stones that I come across have a sharp, pointy bit at the bottom called the culet. I'm pretty sure that it would start to hurt having a few of those ground into your face. I guess we'll just have to hope that the stones are smoothly polished and not faceted, although a smooth polish seems like a waste for a good diamond. Anyways. The client is then instructed to suck on an ice cube to decrease puffiness. The whole shebang is then finished off with a paraffin silk fibre facial. Oh, and by the way, while the treatment costs a cool seven grand, the ice cube is free!

Ok, so I obviously think that this facial is pretty much bogus. And I can think of thousands of better ways to enjoy diamonds and rubies most of which involve setting them into jewelry which I can then wear. But, and this is a big but, if I had 7k just burning a hole in my pocket you bet I would be parked at Mr. Borba’s salon for this treatment because firstly, Mila Kunis looks amazing, and secondly it just sounds awesome to have a facial with diamonds and rubies. It’s just like one of those bucket list things that you’ve always wanted to do, like swim in a pool of money a la Scrooge McDuck. 

But as always, it doesn’t matter what I think. Would you be up for a diamond facial? Is it a total waste of money, or a total dream come true? We want to hear about it!

No comments:

Post a Comment