Welcome to the Union Diamond Blog

Thursday, February 2, 2012

Valentine's Day PSA : Part 2

Hey guys, we’re back with some more great ideas for your Valentine! So, in our last blog we discussed heart shaped jewelry, and while it may seem obvious, heart shaped pieces are beautiful and romantic. And hey, sometimes the obvious choice is the best choice. This brings us to the gift idea for the day, the most romantic gesture of all. Guys, if you’ve been in your relationships for a while you know where I’m going with this. That’s right, a proposal. Because what could be more romantic than asking the woman you love to spend the rest of her life with you. 

An estimated 10% of all proposals occur on Valentine’s Day and if you’ve been with your sweetie for that magical amount of time you can bet that she’ll be one of the millions of women hoping for that bling on the 14th. I know what you’re thinking, “I’m not prepared for this I don’t have a ring, I can’t afford the perfect ring”. Well, let me tell you right now, you can get a beautiful ring, that won’t empty your bank account and that will have your fiancée- to-be saying yes when you drop down on one knee. And yes, even though it may seem old fashioned, the one knee approach is usually the best idea. 


So where do you start? Our advice is to start with the diamond. This is where our knowledgeable diamond consultants really shine. Shoot them an email or call them up and they will be thrilled to help you find that perfect stone. And just to get this myth out of the way, size does not matter. And while I can hear you all collectively groaning and rolling your eyes, trust me, this time it’s true. Yes, a 5 carat stone will tend to have more of a visual impact than a 1 carat, but in reality, it’s the cut that matters. An ideal cut 1 carat stone will blow a poorly cut 5 carat out of the water when it comes to sparkle and brilliance. And before you start hyperventilating about all of these choices, take a deep breath and let’s talk about that other myth looming out there. No matter what, it’s the thought that counts. 


I remember the day that my fiancé proposed. He had worked hard to buy me a ring, but when he proposed he forgot everything that he had planned to say. After mumbling various things, apologizing for forgetting his speech and generally looking a bit panicked, he told me that he loved me and finally stammered out ‘Will you marry me’. It was one of the best days of my life and I can honestly tell you that no matter what he said, or what the ring looked like, I didn’t care. The point is, this process is supposed to be fun! So just relax, because you’ve got some great people in your corner. 


But back to the ring. So you’ve chosen your diamond, now comes the setting. Now, I know that I would have loved my ring no matter what it looked like, I’m very glad that my fiancé kept my personal style in mind when he chose the setting. And if you have no idea what her personal style is like, don’t worry, we’ve got some ideas. What generally works best is to take a look at the pieces that she wears on a regular basis, keep a list if you need to. Does she like silver or yellow metals? Does she love disco ball amounts of bling or is she more of a girl with simple tastes? All of these clues will help your consultant narrow down that perfect setting that will enhance your diamond and make her fall in love with you all over again. And if all else fails and you just can’t decide, one of our favorite ideas is to propose with the diamond set in a simple solitaire setting like the stunning examples below. Then, once she says yes, you can treat her to a day of shopping in our showroom to select the setting together!


So take the plunge this Valentine’s Day and ask her to be your Valentine for the rest of your lives!

No comments:

Post a Comment