Welcome to the Union Diamond Blog

Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Who Loves Surprise Proposals?!

So, it’s Valentine’s Day, a day dedicated to romance and eternal love. And what better way to celebrate love than with a proposal? And today we don’t just have one proposal, we have three! It all went down live on Good Morning America as three women from across the country had a Valentine’s Day moment that they will truly never forget, a surprise proposal in the heart of Times Square, on national television. 

But first, a little backstory, “GMA” had put out a call for men who wanted to make their proposals unforgettable and needed “GMA’s” help to do it. From the scores of hopefuls, only three were chosen. One of the grooms-to-be, Josh Henderson, wrote that he had “spent the last two years of my life with a woman I love and am proud of. I will be proposing this year, and I want to make it remarkable, wonderful (any positive adjective that you could put down), because she deserves it.” It’s at this moment I’m sure that a collective “Awwwwwwww!” is going up from women around the country. Men, are you taking notes? 

Three men were chosen, Tim Tripp, Joshua Henderson, and Steven Ross. GMA then sprang into action to create a reason for all three men and their girlfriends to be in Times Square at the same time, without seeming suspicious. They landed on the idea of hosting a “Newlyweds” style game show on the ideal Valentine’s Day date. So while the ladies were toiling over entirely pointless questionnaires on their dream dates, the men were under a completely different kind of stress, although Tripp claimed to not be afraid of the proposal itself, but the dancing beforehand! After donning tuxes, sweatshirt disguises, and drawing straws to see who would go first, the big moment arrived. 

Screenshot courtesy of GMA

The girls had been sequestered out of earshot all morning, and their phones had been confiscated due to “interference with the equipment”. Then next thing they know, some very familiar men are taking part in a flash mob performance right in front of them. Then, the men unzipped their hoodies, revealing tuxedos and stood before their ladies. Steven Ross was up first, holding his girlfriend Gabby Federici’s hands he said, “You’re the woman of my dreams. I love you so much. I can’t imagine spending another second without you. Let’s make one day, every day, starting today. Gab, will you marry me?” Regardless of what the picture looks like, she was really excited.

Screenshot courtesy of GMA

Next up was Joshua Henderson who got down on one knee and proclaimed to his girlfriend Bridget, “You are my best friend, and I love you so much. Would you do the honor of marrying me? I liked this proposal speech a lot, because who else should you marry but your best friend? Joshua is also pretty brave because in his pre-proposal interview he told the host that “whenever Bridget is anxious or scared she either runs or punches me in the shoulder”. Josuha, those are not super great odds for a surprise proposal, in front of millions of people. But luckily for Josh, there was no running, and no punching in this proposal. See... no punching at all, just some quick ring grabbing by Bridget.

Screenshot courtesy of GMA

And finally it was Tim Tripp’s turn to propose to girlfriend Tara Schmutzler, who, given the trouble I had writing her name down correctly will probably be thrilled to change her name to the easy to spell Tripp. Tim also got down on one knee, see guys, I told you it works, and said, “I told you a long time ago you were it for me. Will you marry me?”

Screenshot courtesy of GMA

Needless to say, all of the girls answered with a resounding YES! “I’m just speechless”, said Schmutzler, “I was stressing out all week about the [Newlyweds] questions you guys were going to ask”! Bridget and Gabby were also shocked but Gabby knew that something funny was going on when Steven had to get to the studio so much earlier than she did, but that she “was not expecting it” and “still thrilled”. Heck, I'd be thrilled too!

Do you have an amazing and unforgettable proposal story? Send it to us and you may be featured on our blog!

No comments:

Post a Comment