Welcome to the Union Diamond Blog

Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Diamonds Just Don't Belong Here

Today I thought we’d take another lighthearted look at places that diamonds just don’t belong. Places like human skulls, teeth, and now, headphones. Yes, headphones. Now, while I personally draw the line at spending more than 20 bucks for a pair of ear buds, my fiancé begs to disagree and would happily plunk down over a hundred for some by his favorite sound system, Bose. But then came ‘Beats by Dre’ selling like hotcakes at close to 300 dollars a pop. And I just didn’t understand. The sound cannot possibly be that good. I mean I’ve tried them on at Best Buy like the rest of the world, and I just don’t see it. But alright, I can see DJ’s and sound mixers etc. maybe getting their money out of them even though I think its name dropping at its most rampant. But even I, in my most accepting, cannot fathom these, diamond studded Beats. 

Photo : Kevin A. Mazur / WireImage

Worth an incredible million dollars, the sparkling ear warmers containing 114cts of diamonds were unveiled at this year’s Super Bowl performance around the neck of LMFAO member Sky Blue. That’s right, a million dollars worth of high tech tuneage and he wasn’t even wearing them! I’m thinking that he could have saved several hundred grand and gotten the same effect with rhinestones and a hot glue gun. Seriously Sky, pay me the million and I’ll bedazzle your headphones like nothing you’ve ever seen before! Anyways, all kidding aside, I guess I can understand the need to really make a splash here. It was the Super Bowl, and they were performing with Madonna, and I’m also pretty sure that they didn’t need to pay for the diamond encrusted necklace… er headphones. And hey, if someone was just offering me the change to run amok on stage with diamond studded ear wear, who would I be to say no? And apparently I’m not the only one out there who would say yes to rocking out with these one-of-a-kind beats, because unless there are two pairs of million dollar headphones running around, the exact same set appeared at the NBA All-Star game.  At least Lil Wayne had the common decency to wear the things on his ears. 

Photo : Getty Images

So, now that we’ve established that these beats are totally pointless and a colossal waste of money. I kinda really want a pair. I mean, they’re so sparkly! And I really just want to borrow them for a little while. So Lil Wayne, could you hook me up? No? Could I maybe just try them on? No? Well darn, I guess I’ll have to make my own. Where’s my hot glue gun?

Oh, I’m still at work. I guess I’ll have to wait until I get home for my sparkly frenzy. Or do I? Hmmm, it just so happens that I work at a place filled with things that you’re supposed to put diamonds on. Things like these gorgeous diamond engagement rings with luxurious Palladium. We have engagement rings for every taste and style, from the funky and modern rope detailing, to bold halos, and vintage milgrain detailing. These rings are bound to make your sweetie happy. 


Or maybe these Blue Topaz earrings. I put these in the case every morning and I love how they sparkle and catch the light. And they’re so versatile. The topaz drop is removable from the diamond hoop so it’s really like having two pairs of earrings for the price of one!  


Ah, now these are so much better than diamond headphones. Whew, I’m glad I came to my senses, that was a close one. Now, if these pictures aren’t enough to snap you out of that Dr Dre daze, we’re open til six. Come on by and we’ll help you pick out your very own sparkly antidote!  

2 comments:

  1. I'm sorry but I think that diamond headphones are taking things too far - that's bling gone mad. I don't really wear diamonds apart from my diamond engagement ring, my fiance had it made specially using vintage designs and working with a designer to make sure it was just right. That's how diamonds should be worn - not plastered all over headphones!

    ReplyDelete