Welcome to the Union Diamond Blog

Monday, March 19, 2012

We finally have pictures of Jessica Biel's engagement ring!


Well it’s official. Jessica Biel and Justin Timberlake are engaged. Ok, I know that we discussed this months ago when Justin was outed by his dear old granny, but I don’t consider any engagement official until it either A. coincides with a status update on Facebook, or B. I see the ring! And for a long time, there was no ring in sight, much to my dismay because I love celebrity engagement rings. But I am dismayed no more since photos recently surfaced of the happy couple out on the town with friends and on Jessica’s finger was a breathtaking ring. My first thought was ‘oooooooooooh’ but that was quickly cast aside when I started questioning her sanity. “What kind of crazy person has a ring like that and doesn’t wear it”?! Trust me, if that were my ring, I would have pictures of that sucker on Facebook, TMZ, heck, even a couple of billboards, but then again, I’m subtle like that. 

Photo : Splash News Online

But anyways, aside from my slight engagement ring neuroses, the thing is gorgeous isn’t it? I’ve always said that there is a fine line between gorgeously huge, and bordering on Kardashian level excess. Not that I would turn down that honker of a ring, at all, there would probably be billboards involved there too. Jessica Biel’s new ring can walk that line like a tightrope. The stone appears to be a large cushion shape, which as diamond cuts go is so dreamy and romantic. And the stone is artfully set in a double halo style ring with a vintage vibe. It is rumored to be custom designed and all I can say is ‘Justin, if this whole singer/actor thing doesn’t work out, we might be able to find a design position here for you’!

I hear you chuckling over there, but it could happen. Anyways, it was my excitement about this photo, and the design of the ring itself that got me thinking about the secondary theme of this post, the double halo. Now, halos have been popular for a long time, long enough in fact that people are getting more and more creative with how they want their halos to look. And really, with our custom department, the sky is the limit. Want two halos, three, two toned gold, multi colored melee? No problem! 

I pulled a piece from our case as well as photos of two custom pieces to give you a better visual of what I’m talking about. We’ll start with a simple double halo. There are a couple of things that make this ring unique and the most obvious is the shape. The sharp, clipped corners really highlight the lines of the Emerald Cut center stone. I also love the subtle airlines, or gaps that have been placed between the central stone and each successive halo. This allows the halo to pack more of a punch with regards to size; all while keeping an airy, effortless look. 


But maybe you want something just a little more on the bold side. These earrings also have a double halo, but with one striking difference. The central halo is made with rose gold. The contrasting gold color along with the milgrain detailing adds additional layers of interest to the earrings while simultaneously making the white diamonds pop. I love halos on princess cuts, especially when they have clipped corners which offer a bold contrast to the princess' sharp corners. The geometric styling really is a thing of beauty. 


Now, I can hear some of you out there saying “Ok Megan, those are gorgeous, but I want more”! Well get ready, because here comes some COLOR. We custom made this incredible setting for a customer and the double halo fits it like a glove enhancing the size and shape of the colored stone. But we didn’t stop there. In the innermost halo, complimentary colored stones were added that were close, but not exact matches to the center stone. This gradual color change from deeper purple, to pinkish purple, to bright white diamonds is stunning. This is a piece that you just can’t stop looking at, and each time, you discover a little something new and exciting. And that’s the best part about custom design, the perfect piece is out there, just waiting for you to come and create it! The only limit is your imagination, and unfortunately, if you’re one of those envelope pushing type of people, the laws of gravity. 23 layer halos just may not be physically possible. 


So tell us, what would your dream ring look like? Is it a total classic like the Tiffany style solitaire, or is it something wild and crazy that only exists in your head, or maybe an incredible combination of both? We’d love to hear your ideas!

No comments:

Post a Comment