Welcome to the Union Diamond Blog

Friday, March 9, 2012

A new trend that's really going to stick!


Temporary Tattoos, we’ve all had them, and probably have fond memories of buying them out of vending machines or receiving them as a price in our cereal or whatnot. We probably do NOT have fond memories of scrubbing them off afterwards, but regardless, temporary tattoos ranked right up there with ice cream sandwiches in most of our childhood memories. They were totally cool, and the closest thing a 7 year old could get to a real tat. I know that I certainly loved them a whole lot and had a stack carefully stored in a drawer in my bedroom where they would patiently wait for summer vacation to start. (I went to a very strict Catholic School) 

That love transferred to adulthood, first with Henna tattoos in my teens one of which was a large dragon that spiraled up my forearm. It was AWESOME. And then, finally, I got real ink. And while I love my real tattoo, I still have a fondness for the temporary ones. Because really, how else can you get away with covering your body with artwork and still looking presentable for that Monday morning meeting. It didn’t help matters when in college I was required to wear a bright orange tiger paw to home football games. So now I not only get the rush of childhood memories, but I also get the screaming excitement of a Clemson Tigers football game. See, I was cool. Totally. 


So you can imagine my surprise and delight when my boss forwarded me an article about temporary tattoos. But not just any temporary tattoos, these stick on wonders are made with silver, gold, and other precious metals. I may or may not have squealed in excitement. These things look incredible! Produced by the high-tech braininess at Genefinity, these state of the art tattoos feature the very latest in nano-tech materials. You can get them in a variety of styles including floral patterns, geometric shapes, stars and dolphins and they last a reported 3 to 7 days. If none of those designs float your boat, there is room for personalization in the design process as well. 

Photo : Gold Sin Jewels

So how does it all work? Genefinity calls it a “Ghost” process which involves sticking thin films of silver, gold, platinum, and palladium to flexible substrates. The jewel toned tattoos themselves are designed on a paper support structure impregnated with water soluble molecules. A bio-compatible resin layer allows the tattoo to adhere to the skin with a waterproof bond. So, in essence, they work similarly to your garden variety “I love Mom” decal. But better, so much better. 

Photo : Gold Sin Jewels

So how much is all of this gold plating going to cost? Well it’s actually quite affordable ranging in price from $7 to $67 dollars. So not a bad price if you can get over the fact that you will essentially be washing 24 karat gold down the drain. The pieces are currently for sale in Egypt, Lebanon and Canada but are expected to hit stores in the US and overseas soon. And I certainly hope that they tell me when they do because I will be the first in line!


1 comment:

  1. The theme of your blog is very beautiful and the article is written very well, I will continue to focus on your article.
    www.goldsinjewelsasia.com

    ReplyDelete