Welcome to the Union Diamond Blog

Friday, March 23, 2012

I just love a diamond ring.

It’s Friday! And what better way to celebrate the beginning of a wonderful weekend than with diamonds? And I’m not just talking about your ordinary diamonds, I’m talking about the world’s first diamond ring. I’ll pause here for a second to let that sink in. Yes, I did in fact say that the subject of this post would be, the world’s first, diamond ring. No, I haven’t gone crazy, and no I’m not making this up. You see it’s simple. There are many rings in the world that feature diamonds, some have more diamonds and larger diamonds than others, but there is a universal theme amongst all rings no matter their design or gemstone of choice. And that universal variable is metal. Ok, now let’s not go splitting hairs about the fact that rings can be made of stone and wood and string and whatnot. That’s beside the point. My point is, and yes I do have one, is that when you want to wear a gemstone on your finger, you set it in metal.

However, for some people, honking 18 carat diamonds like that of singer Beyoncé just aren’t enough. Crazy as that sounds, some people just need more. Well lucky for them, a Switzerland-based jeweler has come up with a mind-bending solution. A 150 carat diamond ring. And when I say diamond ring, I mean no metal, no wood, no string, no nothing. Just 150 carats of sparkling carbon surrounding your finger.

Photo : Shawish

It’s something to behold isn’t it? However I have two questions. I know, only two, but they’re the main ones that came to my mind. One, ummmm, what did you do with the giant chunk that you cut out of the middle? Can I have it? Please? Even if they made the ring a standard size 6, that’s about a 16 or 17mm chunk that has just hit the cutting room floor. I would be more than willing to sacrifice by taking your leftovers. It’s just the kind of generous person I am. ; ) Anyways, question two, ummm what happens if you put it on, and then can’t get it off? Come on, we’ve all heard the stories of aunt edna breaking a finger and then having to have her rings sawed off. The only problem is, you can’t really saw off a ring made entirely by diamond. You’d have to use a laser or I shudder to think, a hammer.

However, possible design flaws and etc. aside, the ring is stunning. It took the creators over a year to carve and it is one of a kind. Obviously, to get a 150 carat ring can you imagine the size and rarity of rough that it came from? And don’t even think about trying to replicate it yourself as the design has been copyrighted. Although the copyright seems like a bit of a waste of time to me. I distinctly remember having a gumball machine plastic ring that looked just like this one. You know the ones I’m talking about right ladies? They were big and brightly colored and molded out of a single piece of translucent plastic. If I’m not mistaken they had a very similar facet pattern and design as well. Anyways, I know that you’re all on the edge of your seat waiting to see how much this one-of-a-kind masterpiece is going to cost you. And oh boy is this going to cost someone. This ring, in all of its wonderfulness can be yours to the tune of 70 million dollars. No, that was not a typo. 70 million dollars. I don’t care how much money you have, it has to hurt a tiny bit to write out a check for that amount. But readers, don’t let that stop you. Go out and purchase this once in a lifetime ring. And when you do, will you pretty please bring it here to me so that I can try it on? Thanks, I knew you would!

No comments:

Post a Comment