Welcome to the Union Diamond Blog

Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Spring is in the Air...

Spring is in the air! All around me I can hear a symphony of hacking and wheezing. Hey, it’s the south and the pollen is bad, so bad. The entire world seems coated with a thick layer of greenish yellow dust. I however, am not allergic to pollen, YAY me! So that leaves me free to enjoy the flowers, and the birds chirping, and what’s that I hear? A proposal? Of course! It’s the first day of spring, but more importantly it’s National Proposal Day! And yes, just like Talk like a pirate day and Cupcake day, I did not make this up. Promise.


Anyways, we’re super excited about National Proposal day because, big shocker here, we LOVE proposals, and weddings, and anything proposal and wedding related. Why? Well to start with, we’re fairly sappy people. We love to sigh over sweet proposals and ooh and ahhh over the wedding details. And since this is a jewelry blog I would be remiss if I didn’t admit that we also really like the jewelry that goes with all of this wedding hoopla. Gorgeous engagement rings, wedding bands, and don’t forget that gift for the bride! And speaking of gifts, all of you who ‘like’ us on Facebook, have you seen our new contest? And if you haven’t ‘liked’ us on Facebook, well, you should, because it’s awesome. But back to the contest, we’re giving away a stunning pair of Diamond Stud Earrings. Yes, you heard that right, Diamond Stud Earrings, for free! The Diamonds are so sparkly set in 14k White Gold, and the perfect size for daily wear. And to win them, all you have to do is tell us your sweet, surprising, or downright crazy proposal story. If it’s the best and gets the most shares you win! It’s really that simple. I’ll even give you an example of what I’m sure, if I were allowed to enter, would be an award winning proposal.


We were both in college. I was out of state in South Carolina and he was here in Atlanta. We had talked about getting engaged for a while and looked at rings but months went by without a proposal. Then, one weekend in May, I was home visiting my mom and we had planned to go shopping. So Saturday morning I wake up, and she tells me that she has to go in to the office for a bit, but she’ll be back around lunchtime and we can go shopping then. I don’t think much about it since that means that I can sleep in longer which is good. I like sleep. So she finally gets home around noon and we get ready to head out. We’re standing in front of the front door when she hands me an envelope. I think its coupons, but when I open the envelope there’s a letter inside and I’m now thinking ‘what on earth is going on?’ ‘I mean, is my mother trying to have a touching letter written moment here in the hallway? This isn’t Oprah mom.’ Anyways, so I read the letter and it turns out that it’s a scavenger hunt. Fun! Only I can’t figure out the first clue. My mother is over 30 years my senior and suffice it to say it was a generation gap moment. So she has to tell me the answer and I pick up my next clue, and this continues on for a while, and as it goes on it gets more and more wedding themed. I’m still very confused, but the girly, diamond loving part of my brain was throwing the cerebral version of Mardi Gras in my head. The last clue sent me to the backyard where Raymond, was standing, by a very large statue of Uga (the bulldog). My parents are big University of Georgia fans, and well, it’s a long story. He got down on one knee, and immediately forgot his speech. I didn’t care, at all. So instead of a prepared speech, he just spoke from the heart, telling me how much he loved me and how he wanted to spend the rest of his life with me. And then he opened the box and asked me to marry him. I almost didn’t say yes because when he opened the box all I could see was the ring! It was a severe moment of bling-induced tunnel vision. But after a moment I recovered and said yes! See, now isn’t that story worth some diamond earrings? I think so.

So tell us your proposal stories! Did you use a hot air balloon like William Franklin Nethery Connel? Or perhaps, like this man, you went to the most magical place on earth, and proposed with the aid of a talking trash can. It doesn’t sound like it, but that was without a doubt one of the cutest proposal videos I’ve ever seen. Oooh! A great proposal idea would be to buy this 8.01 carat vivid blue diamond ring and propose with it.

Photo : Sotheby's

It doesn’t matter what you do or say, even if you whip the ring out of a regular trash can, she WILL say yes. Heck, I would say yes, and I don’t even know you. *Just kidding Raymond!* Seriously though, propose with this ring. Just don’t forget, after she says yes, you have to tell us all about it. And we like pictures and video too! So Happy National Proposal Day everybody and let’s keep those stories coming!

No comments:

Post a Comment